Are you ready to take your skills and expertise to the next level? Want to be part of something very special and learn tons on the way? If you are interested in becoming a world-class community builder, an organiser of world changing movements, or an event producer, join us in building Untitled.
Internship programme for us who get a buzz from making things happen and want to push the world to leap forward
Demos Helsinki is the leading independent Nordic think tank bringing specialists from different fields together. Our vision – building fair and sustainable societies – works as a frame for everything we do. Demos Helsinki together with other activists across sectors has initiated Untitled, a ten-year process and a festival that grasps the social transformation we are in. Untitled’s purpose is to collectively reimagine the fundamental parts of society and create experiments to learn on how to get where we imagine.
Demos Helsinki is now recruiting an intern to Untitled initiative for a 3-month-long paid internship beginning between June and September 2020 (you can take summer holidays in between) (Note that the Festival is 17–18 September). The application is open until Monday 1 June, 2020, 23:59 (EEST).
In our internship programme, you will learn about a collaborative way of changing the world, building an international network and a truly transdisciplinary festival. Your study background can range from cultural production to arts or to any field of sciences or business. Your study background does not matter – your interest and attitude do. We prioritise interns’ proactivity, self-management and problem-solving skills, and the capability to learn new things. Experience from extracurricular activities is considered an advantage.
In addition to the Untitled internship programme, we’re also looking for interns to participate in our everyday consultancy and research activities. If you’re interested in this kind of an internship at Demos Helsinki instead, please see further details here.
Your tasks as the Untitled intern may include:
Contributing to building the Untitled Festival and the 10 year process of Untitled as an equal and active part of the team. Note that the Untitled festival is invitation-based and co-created, its content coming from all members of the Untitled community. Thus, it is not a normal conference of paid speakers or a festival of spectators with paid tickets, but rather an event where everyone is an active participant. Your tasks and responsibilities may include:
- concepting Untitled activities and designing the participant experience
- event management and production, incl. e.g. programming, site planning, finding solutions to realise the vision. Due to the unpredictability of corona, the event is likely to have online content and participation in addition to the physical event
- external communications
- engaging with the participants/contributors and helping to realise their plans, participating in partner meetings
- volunteer recruitment and guiding
- project coordination
- And of course, creating and participating in the festival itself with 250 people from Finland and abroad 17–18 September!
The tasks can vary according to the situation and personal abilities.
Working at Demos Helsinki is not only about brainstorming grand ideas but making them happen in the real world as well. In our Untitled internship programme, you will learn how to combine these two skills. We encourage and allow our interns to take responsibility. However, we always support each other and take part in creating a ‘culture of support’ at the office and when working remotely. You will be working closely with the Untitled core team of three, but will be involved with other Demosians, too, throughout your internship.
Read this blog to meet our interns and learn about their experiences at Demos Helsinki.
Skills required from applicants
- You are curious and interested in the world around us and you have a drive for co-working
- You have experience in production type of projects, whether from studies, hobbies or work, and have good project management skills
- You know how to showcase and utilise the skills you have attained in your field of studies and other experience
- You have tolerance for ambiguity and chance, and are not afraid of complexity
- You have creativity and proactive problem-solving skills with a thoughtful eye for details
- You have a ‘Can do’ attitude with the ability of getting things done and making things happen
- You are an undergraduate or graduate student at a university or a university of applied sciences, either in Finland or abroad, during the entire internship. PhD students are not qualified to apply.
N.B. Don’t be too critical towards yourself and think you can apply only if you perfectly tick every box.
If you are interested in becoming a world-class community builder, an organiser of world changing movements, or an event producer, this internship is for you.
What you get
- Rare experience in building an international network of action.
- Experience in building a truly multidisciplinary event both offline and online, connecting artists, thinkers, and doers from various sectors of the society.
- Understanding of the deep societal transformation that will change the way we live, work, relate, and govern in the coming decades.
- A place to grow supported by a warm community at Demos Helsinki
Duration of the internship, COVID-19 situation, and the application process
The duration of the internship is three months. If you study outside Finland, the length, timing, and other details of the internship can be discussed in order to fit your studies. We hope that you will express all possible options for you to complete your internship in the application form.
Regarding the global COVID-19 situation, we wish to return to our Helsinki offices once the situation and the authorities’ guidelines allow it; however, we are fully equipped to work remotely if the situation so requires. Starting this March, all our employees and interns have been safely working from home, and we have also successfully completed a remote onboarding process while making sure we offer as much support as we can during this time. For this reason, we kindly ask you to closely consider the period of time for your availability to partake in the internship programme, so as to make sure you are able to fully commit to it regardless of the internship taking place remotely or at a physical workplace. You can also express any specifics concerning your situation on the application form.
The compensation for the internship is 1,500 € per month. We have international interns working with us regularly, and based on this experience, we can help with practicalities related to potentially moving and working in Finland by sharing useful information and tips we have compiled throughout the years.
The call for interns is open until Monday 1 June, 2020, 23:59 (EEST).
Demos Helsinki promotes equality in working life. We have an anonymous application process in the first phase of the intern selection. You apply for the internship by filling out the application form, but the details that are irrelevant for the preliminary selection (e.g. name, age, and city) are temporarily hidden when we go through the applications. The anonymous application process ensures that the preliminary selection is influenced only by information that is relevant to the process.
Our office and all workspaces are accessible.
Demos Helsinki promotes equality in working life. We have an anonymous application process all the way until selected applicants are invited to the interview and the remote workshop day.
The 30-45 min interviews are held online on 3–4 June, 2020, between 9.00–15.00 (EEST). Some of the interviewees will be invited to a remote workshop of max. 3 hours on 5 June that consists of a group task. When applying, please remember to reserve these dates already beforehand and be prepared for the interview. We will inform all applicants of their status in the application process by June 2, 2020, at the latest.
Click the link to apply!
Please fill in the application form carefully. We appreciate clear and concise answers. The application form includes a mandatory preliminary assignment which is an essential part of the process and will be evaluated.
Questions & Contact
For additional information please contact Outi Kuttinen / +358 50 326 5582, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet our interns
Read this blog to find out what Helen, Tuomas, Silva, Myles & co have to say about their experience at Demos Helsinki.
“Demos Helsinki is unlike any other internship experience. The think tank is built on trust and, as an intern, you work with a high-level of autonomy right from the start.”